Sex Therapy, Relationship Counselling and General Counselling in Melbourne.
Call Dr Christopher today: (03) 9005 5213.

Victim of Crime Counselling

If you have been a victim of a crime you may be eligible for counselling support through the Victim of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VOCAT). Different crimes impact differently on each individual. For some people the experience of having a crime committed against them can result in trauma, anxiety, depression, or even on your sense of self.

Crime which may have impacted on victims include physical assault, domestic violence, family violence, domestic abuse, breach of Intervention Order, sexual abuse, sexual assault, rape, child abuse, child sexual abuse, indecent assault, armed robbery, violent robbery, aggravated burglary, home invasion, stalking, threats to kill, workplace assault, manslaughter, murder, culpable driving, dangerous driving, road rage, threat to harm, bullying, conduct endangering life or any other violent crime committed against a person.

The offender does not need to be apprehended or charged or convicted in order for victims of crime to apply for victim of crime counselling support.

Eligibility for Counselling under VOCAT

You may be eligible for assistance if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are the victim and have been directly injured as the result of a crime.
  • You have suffered either physically or psychologically by the crime.
  • The crime was reported to the police and you made a police statement.
  • The crime was committed in the last two years in Victoria, Australia**.
  • You are related to a victim of crime.

For more information you can:


Victims Assitance and Counselling Program (VACP)

People who have (or someone close to you) been the victim of a violent crime in Victoria for the last 2 years (and it is reported to the police and/or family violence intervention order/safety notice) may be eligible for counselling to help you and your family cope with the effects of being a victim of violent crime. Please contact the VACP provider in your area (live, work or study) to be assessed for your eligibility. You may also be eligible for counselling under VOCAT (please see information on VOCAT counselling).

There are four VACP providers in the Greater Melbourne Area. Please use the links below to contact these organisations:

Eastern Victims Assistance and Counselling @ EACH

The EVAC @ EACH provides services to poeple who live int he following areas: Boroondara, Knox, Manningham, Maroondah, Monash, Whitehorse, Yarra Ranges.

Windermere Victims Assistance and Counselling Program

Windermere VACP services poeple who reside in the South East Metropolitan and Gippsland area with offices in Narre Warren, Cranbourne, Pakenham, Berwick, Hampton, Morwell and Bairnsdale.

Western Region Health Centre’s Victims Assistance and Counselling Program

The Western Region Health Centre’s VACP services people who in live int he Western area of Greater Metropolitan Melbourne.

Merri Community Health Services Victims Assistance Counselling Program

Merri Community health Services’s VACP provides services for people in the Northern area of Greater Metropolitan Melbourne.


Ask Dr Chris Fox

I am a trained Counsellor/Therapist with over 20 years experience, holding Clinical/Level 4 membership of the Australian Counselling Association, one of Australia’s leading counselling and psychotherapy regulating bodies.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.